History of North Springfield
Caring for the Community Since 1956
In 1946, real estate developer Mr. Edward R. Carr anticipated the great need to provide home communities for the many families moving in the Washington suburbs after World War II who were taking up newly formed government jobs. He found, purchased and developed much of the land in the Springfield area. Started in 1955, North Springfield was the second planned community in the area just behind Crestwood's Springfield.
Above and right: 7514 Hamlet Street (Courtesy of Tom Sheffler). Flyer far right courtesy of local historian Robyn Carter. Click photos to expand.
North Springfield was developed in multiple phases. Oversimplified, they are:
Crestwood Park section of North Springfield (Ferndale entrance), May 1957.
Courtesy of Grace Genie McClellan. Click photos to expand.